Eazi bleed on Spitfire

To: <daveejay@peak.org>
Subject: Eazi bleed on Spitfire
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 12:01:53 -24000
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Mastenbrook <daveejay@peak.org> wrote:

<I had a shocking discovery when attempting to bleed the brake system of
my '74 Spitfire with a Gunson's Eezi Bleed. I grabbed the largest cap to
fit the master cylinder reservoir and after getting all the plumbing
ready, found that the cap was about 1/8 inch (roughly) too small to fit
on the reservoir. The kit claims to fit the larger reservoir of early
Triumph Spitfires. Meanwhile, I'm S. O. L. (Stuck On a Log) and resorted
to pumping the brakes.

Question: Has anyone else had this problem? And, does anyone have a cap
to fit this car (that they would be willing to part with)?>

Been there done that.  I was more than a little disgusted to find the same
situation for my '75 Spitfire.

Here's what I did:

Take the existing cap, turn it over, and remove the plastic disk (dust
cover?) on the underside.

Next, drill thru the top of the cap, and attach the fittings for the
eazibleed.  When you're done, reinstall the dust cover, and put a piece of
duct tape over the vent hole (put a small hole in the tape for air).

Of course, I'm now in the market for a new reservoir cap...

By the way, I've tried the vacuum types of bleeders, and pressure-bleeders
work MUCH better, especially on difficult Spitfire clutch hydraulics.

regards,

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire