Re: Re[2]: TR6 Timing Redux

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: TR6 Timing Redux
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:57:12 -0700
Cc: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com, JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
McGaheyRx@aol.com wrote:

> This is the second reference I've seen to setting timing statically. Since I
> don't mind displaying my ignorance, I have to ask: What is meant by setting
> the timing STATICALLY ?
> Thanks
> Jack Mc
> Sun timing light
> 73 TR6

Ignition HOT
Turn engine by hand to #1 piston at TDC
Turn back until flywheel mark lines up with index (pointer)
rotate distributor body by hand (loosen clamp first) until you hear the points
click open
set it there
a bit more accurate method is to put a light with two leads (one to ground, the
other to the
hot portion of the points) on the points and watch for the light to go out
(when the circuit
is broken by the opening points) and set the distributor there....

A timing light is usually preferable....but TRs are apparently the exception...

Regards,
TJ

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn