Re: Help for 79 Spitfire

To: silverman@loop.com
Subject: Re: Help for 79 Spitfire
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 14:13:32 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-07-20 13:53:19 EDT, Ed writes:

>I have a 79 Spitfire that will unexpectedly stop running any place any
>time !
>It has to be push started to get it running. The local techs have not
>been able to diagnose the problem.
>
>Any suggestions ?

Ed,

I think we need more info.  Does it *suddenly* just stop running?  Or does it
make any other strange noises or symptoms before stopping like loss of
power.  Does the tachometer suddenly drop to 0 rpm before the motor has
completely stopped?

You say it must be push started to get it running.  Does this mean that
*nothing* happens when you turn the key (not even a clicking sound) ?
Or does the motor turn over, but won't fire?

based on the little data, I would say the electronic ignition could have gone
flakey.  Especially if it's the original equipment module attached to the
distributor housing.

Sorry, more questions than answers

Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->