Re: TR4 doesn't want to start; really need advise

To: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca
Subject: Re: TR4 doesn't want to start; really need advise
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:07:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<<  I also removed the air pistons and
 cleaned them up as well as the bores.
 Now it isn't starting at all and will after a lot of cranking cough and come
 close to starting and die. When I pull the plugs they don't seem to smell
 too strongly of gas as I assumed they would with all the choking. What is
 the best method to measure how well the fuel pump is working? Measure a
 volume/minute or pressure?  >>

Mark,

Which carbs do you have SUs or Strombergs? I assume since you centralized the
jets you have SUs. When your removed, cleaned and replaced the carb pistons,
did you get them back in the correct body. You can't intermix those parts. Do
the pistons rise and fall smoothly? Unscrew the damper and lift the pistons
with your finger. They should drop and hit the bridge with a solid click. If
they bind, you may have interchanged parts. Have you checked the operation of
the chokes? On SUs both jets should drop about 1/2" with the choke out.

Check for a good spark. Pull the secondary coil wire out of the distributor
cap (or substitute another wire into the coil) and mount the end about 3/8"
away from a good ground (not your own body). Have someone crank the engine
and watch for a good, rhythmic blue-white spark. If you get a weak, yellow
spark, or no spark at all, you're problem is in the ignition system. Double
check your installation of the points especially - they can easily be
mis-installed, causing the primary wire back to the coil to be grounded (no
spark). If you have a weak but rhythmic spark, your problem is in the
secondary - either a bad coil or wires. While I think of it, check the
primary input voltage to the coil. There should be a good 12v reading in the
start position.

Fuel pressure? Should be around 3 lbs. Assuming there's fuel in the float
bowls, fuel pressure will not affect starting.

Keep me posted,
Charlie Brown
Capital Triumph Register