Dave Brunk's Oil Problem (Identified!!!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dave Brunk's Oil Problem (Identified!!!)
From: Dave Brunk <dbrunk@mhv.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:24:33 -0700
Cc: CPXU24A@prodigy.com
Well, Mr. Stuart Bollen and another gentleman who responded to me directly get
the
golden crank shaft award for this week!!!

A few days ago I posted that my '69 TR6 had oil pressures around half there
normal. The symptoms were, running slightly rougher than normal, very little
(if any)
oil reaching the top of the motor, and the obvious, low oil pressure.

Mr. Bollen and another suggested that fuel may have leaked through the carbs,
into the
crankcase. It was suggested that the culprit could have been a full fuel tank
and a
problem with the float in one of the carbs. I went out and sniffed (thats a
technical
term) the oil stick and WAALAAA. Heavy smell of fuel! In addition, I'd just
filled the
tank a couple days ago!

An interesting symptom that should have registered about a week ago was a heavy
smell of
gasoline in the garage one morning (after the fill up). After seeing nothing on
the
floor, I dismissed the issue to poor ventilation.

OK....NOW WHAT!

I haven't removed the oil yet. With the problem identified, could anyone
suggest a
course of action. These are my questions:

Should I replace the oil filter when I change the oil?

Should I run any sort of internal engine cleaner through the motor, or did the
fuel
already do that for me?  :)

If the floats are the culprit, what should I do to fix the "carb" problem?

How full should I leave the fuel tank in the future?

Are there any other preventative measures that can be taken?

By now you are all probably saying to yourselfs....gee wizz. We solved the
problem for
the guy, what more does he want from us!  :)

Thanks for the diagnosis! Thanks in advance for the solution!

Dave (a very happy camper knowing he doesn't have to remove the oil pump) Brunk
'69 (glad his owner won't be ripping his guts out this weekend) TR6