alternators (formerly "I love my car")

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net(bnr400)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net (bnr400)>
Subject: alternators (formerly "I love my car")
From: Michael Spray <mspray@bwdldb.ott.bnr.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:51:13 -0400
Encoding: 20 TEXT
Thanks Charlie for the primer on alternator rebuilds.  For the most part
you were dead on, however, I have to take issue with your comment on the
front bearing coming out "fairly easily".  The bearing cartridge had
pretty much come apart so several of the individual bearings had gotten
mangled between it and the spacer.  Heat helped to get the outer ring of
the cartridge out of the front frame but the inner race was a little
more difficult.  Indeed it took an impact chisel to finally "rattle" the
thing free.  The complete job took about four hours (about 4* what I had
time for).

I was pleasantly surprised how much more power the car had this AM (go
figure, working bearings seem to make quite a difference) but
unfortunately, I didn't have a new fan belt to use last night so I
remounted the old (rather twisted) one.  I made it about 3/4 of the way
to the office before the belt came off so I've now (regretably) boiled
the car twice in as many days.

And so it goes

Mike