TR 3 Hydraulics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 3 Hydraulics
From: mkatzman@email.njin.net (marshall katzman)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 06:36:30 -0400
My 1959 TR 3....when I purchased it one year ago I noted that when I
released the clutch it engaged shortly after my foot was off the pedal. I
was told that's because it is a hydraulic clutch. A while back my back
brakes would not release...I had them cleaned and the problem was solved.
Shortly after my clutch would not engage unless I pumped the pedal. Upon
opening the hydraulic fluid reservoir I noticed that it was half empty (or
half full). I had the system bled and it worked fine...however I do not
believe the fluid was toped up. After a few weeks my rear brakes started to
hang up again (this time only in reverse) and shortly after I had the
clutch problem again. Upon opening the reservoir tank I noted that it was
half full. I toped it up but also cleaned the cloged vent in the filler
cap. BTW the only apparent leaking was coming from the filler cap area.
After cleaning the vent I tried the clutch (I did not bleed it this time).
The clutch now releases very quickly and to this point I have no brake
problems. Question...was the cloged vent in the reservoir cap causing this
problem all along and did it also affect the brakes?