Re: I love my car....

To: mspray@bwdldb.ott.bnr.ca
Subject: Re: I love my car....
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 22:44:02 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Has anybody out there had any experience with rebuilding alternators
 (actually, just replacing the bearings?).  Knowing that this day would
 come, I did buy a pair of bearing cartridges that (allegedly) will fit
 but I haven't had the chance to take a go at swapping them in.  Now
 thats its a pressing matter...   Any advice would be most welcome >>

Michael,

The front bearing comes out fairly easily once the pully is removed (don't
loose the key and the two spacers) and the front frame is separated from the
stator windings (center black metal housing). Tap out the rotor with a
plastic or rawhide mallet. The front bearing is held in place by a circlip on
the inside. That bearing (which is usually the first one to go because of the
belt tension) should just tap out.

The rear bearing is another story. The collector ring has to be desoldered
VERY CAREFULLY. Those wires are very small and brittle. If you get that far
you'll need a small bearing puller and a two jaw puller to remove the rear
bearing. Use a deep well socket that matches the inner race to tap the new
bearing back into place. Carefully re-solder the collector ring, and start
reassembly. My advice on the rear bearning is to leave well enough alone
unless you know it's shot.

I hope that helps. It's been about a year since I completely rebuilt my last
alternator and I think I've covered the important points. If you have any
more questions let me know.

Charlie B