Forever Slipping Clutch/OVD

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Forever Slipping Clutch/OVD
From: Francois Demont <100304.2046@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 10 Jul 96 10:16:07 EDT
Cc: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>, Dave Massey <TR6Massey@aol.com>, Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>, Tony Robinson <aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu>, Karl Vacek <KVacek@aol.com>
Dave (International) Massey wrote :

>>>>> Karl, Francois, Rich, et al
Correct me if I am wrong but the one-way clutch only comes into play while
(whilst) (pendant) the overdrive cone clutch is in between the normal and the
overdrive position.  If the transmission is slipping all the time then the
one-way clutch is not to blame.
TR6Massey@aol.com <<<<<<<

Hum, after three hours of re-reading the manual, I think you're partially
wrong..
The one-way clutch does not come into play only the short time between
with/without OVD.

When the OVD is not engaged, the main torque is transmitted through that one-way
clutch (also call freewheel ?). Only over-run or reverse gear torque will be
transmitted by the internal cone clutch.. Think that one-way clutch is always
between the input and output shafts of the OD Unit, making the output shaft
always go at the same speed or faster than the input shaft..

When OVD is engaged, the one-way clutch is not loaded, so it can't be
responsible for a slipping transmission..

For a more visual (necessary) explanation, I added today a temporary web page to
the Amicale Spitfire page, with the images and explanations from the factory
workshop manuals. Please have a look at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire/ovd.htm

Hope this helps, correct me if I'm wrong !

Francois Demont 100304.2046@compuserve.com
Spitfire MK3, 1968, valencia blue, every day car, OVD (One Valiant Driver)