Spit fuel guage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit fuel guage
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 22:58:00 -0640
>I have got a problem with my Fuel gauge for my Spitfire 73.
> In fact, my fuel gauge stop to working, when the level
>decrease to the first quarter (just inside).

>I've heard that it was just a resistance problem inside.
>Some one have more information about that ?

<<<>>>

Hello Jacques!  Try these tests:

1. Ground the sender side of of your fuel guage <green wire with black
stripe> with the ignition "on".  You should see a full scale reading.
If yes, proceed to the boot. <trunk>

2. Remove the access panel and disconnect the wires to the sender.
<oops!...make sure you have less than 1/2 tank of petrol>
Rotate the locking ring CC, and remove the sender.  If the
float arm's stuck, clean with lacquer thinner, etc.  Inspect the float
for petrol _inside_!

With the float arm free, and ohm meter should give a reading of
about 30 to 280 ohms as you move it up and down.  These numbers won't
be exact, but anything close is okay.

If you never did get the full scale reading in step 1, you may have
a bad voltage stabilser, fuel guage or you might not be getting
the 12 volt supply to the circuit.  Use the diagram below to find
the test points for your voltmeter.

                          Light    _____    Green
    Green    --------     Green  /       \  Black   Tank Sender
 +----------| o    o |-------------o   o-------------/\/\/\/\/
 Source     Stabiliser           Fuel Gauge             |
                                                         --------

                                                         Chassis |
                                                         ground  |
                                                              --------