TR6, Head studs - which way is up?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6, Head studs - which way is up?
From: "Mark Manasas" <MMANASAS@JJPRAYC1.SSW.JNJ.COM>
Date: 09 Jul 1996 11:13:11 GMT
Comment: MEMO 07/09/96 08:18:00
     This is an easy question, I hope.  Which end of the head studs go into
     the block on a '74 TR6 engine?  One end has a short threaded section ~
     1/2", the other end about twice as long.  The block looks like it is
     threaded deep enough to accomodate the longer threads, but from what I
     can see in several of my catalogs, the longer threads appear to be at
     the top.  Unfortunately all the catalogs show the studs in the block
     (not in a nice exploded view floating in space) so it's kind of hard
     to tell.

     This is it though, the final countdown.  The reground cam should
     arrive today and the frame off mechanical restoration (didn't touch
     the body other than new frame mounts) should be complete.  All new
     valve guides, valve seat inserts, crank turned .010 over, new clutch
     shaft, bearings, etc....., etc......  After getting it apart it is
     hard to believe that it ran as smoothly as it did.  Idle was smoother
     than most new cars on the road.  Top end was another story.  Always
     seemed to be starving for fuel.  Hope to have her running by the
     weekend and give the list an "it's alive!" story.

     Thanks in advance,
     Mark
     mmanasas@jjprayc1.jnj.com
     '72 TR6 - CC77356L (with a '74 motor)