Spit Hub - Success!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Hub - Success!
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- Transamer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 15:32:28 EDT

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

Finally, success in removing those dreaded rear hub flanges off of
my 64 Spitfire 4!  Thanks to Tony Robinson who reinforced what I
was doing all along.

We attached the gear puller again and this time got that sucker
cherry red hot, beat on it a few times with a sledge hammer,
cranked down the gear puller a little more and PRESTO, it popped
off no worse for wear despite all the pounding, heating, pulling
and cursing.  So, on to the second axle shaft . . . . . . . .  put
on the gear puller, got it red hot, started cranking down the gear
puller more and more, can feel it moving, moving, moving . . . .
  Hmmmm.  Not coming off.  Look down across the top of the flange
and lo and behold, we bent it.  Damn.  Guess we heated it up a wee
bit too much.  Oh well, it's ruined now, so let's beat the living
Hell out of it until it comes off, which it did a minute later.
It is now on my desk at my office and is being used as a paper
weight and a reminder that "if it has boobs or an engine, it will
give you problems."

Pulled out the TRF parts guide to find out how much this is going
to cost me . . . YIKES!!!!  $200.00!!  Hmmm, let's see what
Kipping wants . . . . $40 US for a "reconditioned" version.  Yup,
that's better.  Better buy 2 just to be sure I didn't slightly
warp the other one, too.

Cheers,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)