'64 Spit progress...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '64 Spit progress...
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 13:49:39 -0700
Hi y'all...

  It is with great interest that I read everybody's progress on their cars.  I
wish I
could get over to Albany for the get together, but I'm on the left side of the
U.S.  Oh
well...  Anyway, I posted a message a while back regarding a pair of overriders
for a
Spit front bumper, and it wasn't but two days later that a local fellow GAVE me
a pair,
along with various assorted other parts from his race Spit that he didn't need.
 So, if
anybody's looking for a pair of rear bumpers for a Mk 1 Spit., with overiders,
e-mail
me, and we'll begin negotiations.  I was hoping to trade them for other parts,
but I'm
at the point now that I'm not sure what I need.

  As far as my car is concerned, I've got the frame ans suspension done, and
I'm
currently working on the engine.  I've got three comments regarding various
threads I've
seen lately, and I need some comment on one or two of them.

  First, rear suspension set-up & the use of camber-compensators.  Before I
built the
frame, I searched high & low for info on camber sompensators for the Spit
(Pre-Internet-Access-For-Me era, aka pre-IAFM era) and couldn't find much.
After much
consultation with several local people, I decided to:
        1.)  add an extra long leaf to the Spit spring, with original shackles
(much
        tighter now), and have the spring de-arched to about 3.5 to 4".
        2.)  3-way adjustable Koni's all the way around, set on "middle".
        3.)  of course, new front springs (VBrit, competition, 6.875" installed
height).
Although I did not measure the "force" of the front springs, just by their
"feel", it
seemed to be alot stiffer than stock used units.  I didn't compare to new
stock, though.
  I figure that the stiffer, lower rear spring will be all I need for heavy
street use.
 I read with interest about the cable set-up, and may give it some thought.

  Secondly, the 1147 cc engine.  I am currently going through the engine, and
this is
what's going on.  Stock carbys (will need to be re-jetted, I believe), and I'm
still
researching exactly what weight of oil to put in them.  Hot street cam being
ground,
degreed to crank by re-drilling holes on cam sprocket in *exactly* the right
position.
Dual valve springs from later 1500.  Mk 3 rocker arm pedestals (stronger) with
new
rocker shaft.  Head cc'ed, new bronze valve guides, ported & polished.  Mk 3
stock
exhaust header (haven't decided on exhaust system yet, any comments?).  Block
decked for
even piston clearance, bored 0.0040" over with flat-top pistons, should result
in
compression of about 9 to 1.  Crank ground with new bearings all the way
around, entire
mess balanced properly, and the crazy spiral rear oil seal welded in so that I
can put a
"real" 1500 oil seal on it.  Also latere model throw-out bearing, so that I can
switch
to a 1500 flywheel & clutch, which I understand that I just need some bushes
for the
bolt hole size.  Anything that someone might suggest, while I got this thing
apart?  I'm
willing to listen...

   Third, paint.  I've always liked BRG, and unfortunately, it's not on the
list as a
factory color for the Mk 1's.  I'm not sure I'm going to let that stop me,
though.  I
would like to continue to read comments about different paint types and
finishes, so
that I may make a reasonably informed decision.  Obviously, I plan to drive
this car,
and although it won't be daily, it will be as often as I can get away with it.
It may
see one or two local shows, but nothing upper-class.  So, I want it to look
great, and I
don't think I'll mind spending the time to wash it now and then.  I was
currently
considering a base/clearcoat type of finish.

  Thanks.