Re: Unusual oil leak-76 TR 6

To: 74741.2020@CompuServe.COM
Subject: Re: Unusual oil leak-76 TR 6
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 12:02:00 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Hello all,
>
>There was a time when I read about oil leaks on TR's with disinterest because
>mine had only the "normal" lbc leaks--a couple of new spots each time I parked
>it.>
>The car has been sitting up for years and I've just gotten it running again and
>have put about 200-300 miles on it, all in town and with normal oil leaks. (I
>don't dare get out of town yet.)  It's been hot as blazes in Texas so I changed
>oil from 10W-30 to 20W-50. Right after that change and a few hot miles, I
>noticed much larger oil leaks, like a square foot under the front of the
>engine(front seal?) and near the rear of the engine(rear seal?). Seems like
>every place oil can leak, it's leaking.
>
>I tightened the oil pan bolts  and drain plug and this didn't help. Any
>thoughts
>on why this might have happened?
>
>Am I right in thinking that the front seal can be changed without pulling the
>engine but the engine has to come out to get to the rear seal?

Neil,
 First, the rear seal can be changed without pullingthe engine. However,
the transmission and assorted goodies have to be removed first.
 The front seal can also be changed without pulling the engine but talk
about a lot of work. May as well pull it and do both, but I don't think
that's where your problem lies.
 If it's the original front seal in the timing chain cover, it used
leather as a sealing medium and odds are that it dried out while sitting
so long.
 You really have to be tender with the oil pan gasket. Overtightening
can crush the gasket and produce more leaks than it stops.
 Changing oil viscosity is a good idea in Summer, but, with the thicker
oil, comes slightly higher oil pressure, which pushes oil through all the
passages as well as any source of leaks.
 Probably a good idea to wash down the engine real well and then search
for the leak.
 My first guess is going to be timing chain seal.
Sorry, no real words ir encouragement.
Best Regards,
Tony
###