'76 Fuel Gauge Reply

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '76 Fuel Gauge Reply
From: SCOTTC COATES <SCOATES@AOAC.ORG>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 10:09:35 -0400
Peter Sunenshine writes: <<I've got a '76 Spitfire 1500
and everything works but the fuel gauge,  which is
driving me nuts.>>

I owed a Sptifire in the late '70's with a similar fuel
gauge problem.  Turns out the float developed a pin-
hole leak, filled with fuel, and sank to the bottom - thus
giving an empty reading all the time.  I removed the
whole assembly (amazingly easy to do), dried out the
float, applied some epoxy glue to the pin whole, and
solved the problem  (I was too cheap to spring for a
new float).

Scott Coates
Burtonsville, Maryland
'74 TR-6 (but I wish I had a Spitfire)