Re: Jacking it UP! (no lbc content) <912CAB3101D641D9@davinc

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Jacking it UP! (no lbc content) <912CAB3101D641D9@davinci.symbol.com>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:20:52 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net (MR STUART BOLLEN)
DUHART JOHN wrote:

>       I have a question about how you people get your TR's up on jack stands.

There has been some traffic describing how people jack up their TR's one end
at a time.  I, however, have generally jacked it up one *side* at a time.  If
a floor jack is placed under the frame at the re-inforcement point near the
front edge of the door, one whole side of the car can be lifted.  This has the
advantage that no 2x4 or 4x4 beams need to be used. As with the other
suggested front/back techniques, if the car is going to be raised up quite
high, I do this in three steps.  (left side up half-way, right side up
full-height, left side up fulll-height)

I, like some other posters, have the four-leg cast no-name-brand jackstands
available at places like Walmart, etc.  These hold the car very steady when
they are all set at the same height.  I cannot rock the car at all when evenly
supported on the stands.  Before getting under the car, attempt to rock the
car to be sure it is secure.  I mean *really* try to rock the car.
Make sure you exert at least twice as much force as anything you might
do when wrenching or hammering under the car.

However, as an added safety precaution, I also place the wheels under the ends
of car, underneath a frame rail, so that just in case the car does drop off
while I'm underneath it, I at least get 6" of space.  (No, this isn't enough
to save me if my head happens to be under a frame rail if the car were to
drop, but would probably help in other cases...  or, at least prolong the
agony...)

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631