Vitesse electrical woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vitesse electrical woes
From: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 21:31:43 +0000
The latest problem with our Vitesse is that is prooving difficult to start.
The symptoms are as follows:
with a fully charged battery, it will start OK, although the starter
doesn't turn quite as quickly as I suspect it should.  After a few days
however, the starter will only crawl round.  The strange thing is that
hydromter readings seem OK (not quite as high as the fully charged state,
but not low enough to indicate a flat battery).  Connecting a fully charged
booster battery will ususlly start the car, but again the starter only
turns slowly.  In addition the starter terminal on the solenoid gets really
hot and the battery earth strap gets quite warm.  The solenoid iteslf is
OK. A related problem is that the headlights are quite dim and the horn
won't work unless the engine is revved.  Both the dynamo and battery are
relatively new.  Does anyone have any ideas - could it be a control box
problem - the Vitesse has the same control boxas an early GT6 (Lucas
RB340), or does sound more like a dodgy earth - I've cleaned up the battery
to scuttle earth connection to no effect.

Thanks in advance once again for any responses,  Pat Edwards.

P.S. Please forward a copy of any response to me personally.  Thanks.

Dept. of Chemistry
Massey University
Palmerston North
New Zealand