Re: brake piston inserting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake piston inserting
From: Jim Van Riper <jvr@informix.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 16:28:39 -0500
At 04:28 PM 5/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 96-05-16 09:10:01 EDT, thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM

>>ok, now that you have mentioned it, and before i take the old
>>ones out... how do you get the pistons (new ones) back in?

>The earlier ones are trickier.  The earlier calipers (and many other model's)
>use a groove in the the cylinder bore.  That means you install the fluid seal
>and the dst boot and THEN install the piston.  Since the boot must be
>streached over the piston and the boot tends to want to go down the bore in
>front of the piston, trying to insert the piston and not push the boot down
>the hole is difficult.

This sounds like my E-type. I did this last weekend and it went suprisingly
easy. I did lube up the dst boot and seal with clean fluid first though. It
just slid right in.

Good luck

Jim Van Riper
95 Pontiac Firebird Formula Convertible - DrkGrn, TanLeather, M6
79 Triumph TR7 Convertible - DrkGrn, TanCloth, M5
70 Jaguar XKE Convertible - Robin's Egg Blue (ick), BlackVinyl, M4
94 Pontiac GrandAm GT 4dr (wife's)