TRF , Charles bashing, Moss

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TRF , Charles bashing, Moss
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 07:26:10 -0700
Its amazing that Charles supporters are so quick to bash nonsupporters and
that so many people get so emotional over TRF.  Sounds to me like everyone
wants TRF to succeed but are split over Charles's focus on his primary
business.  Reminds me of Apple and Mike Spindler.  I've also noticed that
the closer people are to Charles's business the more religious they tend
about TRF.

I think people should just realize that Charles is a person of many facets
many interests, many passions AND many businesses.

(Pure conjecture follows)
he is a:
   Triumph enthusiast and Triumph parts provider;
   Olde English Inn Owner
   WWII British aircraft enthusiast
   provayer of cute, comfortable little things like teddy bears & brushes.

Rather than setting up a second mail order company to offer the cute bears,
the brushes, the gas mask containers & such he decided to piggyback it on
his existing mail order business. So what?

Charles is a person, not a slave to our parts needs and he has the right to
run his businesses in a way that pleases him.  I'm not sure that its valid
to attack him or his companys because he chooses to advertise teddy bears
and Triumph parts in the same flyers, or that he still hasn't come out with
a TR3 catalogue.

That said...

I personnaly vote with my purchases.
Like other's I believe that When there is a part difference between TRF and
Moss that TRF has the better quality part.  I have talked with a number of
people working at both companys and know they often join their orders to
have a large enough volume to have parts reproduced or a run of parts made.
SO many times the same part is available at both locations.  Charles keeps
telling us that Quality is priority #1.  Multiple people within Moss have
mentioned to me that there is a person in charge of qualifying parts who
believes that quality is unimportant and file to fit is OK.  On the other
hand Moss carries a MUCH larger varity of parts than TRF.  On my TR3
rebuild, I have tried to purchase a large number of things from TRF to be
told that they are no longer available and subsequently called Moss and
have been told that they have plenty in stock.  Moss also has nice complete
catalogues  which allows me to easily find the part I need.  Sometimes I
order from Moss just because its easier and quicker to find the part.

My current stratagy is to call TRF first.  If they carry the part, I ask
them if it is currently in stock.  If yes, I order.  If no, I ring up Moss
and make the order.  I get about as many parts from Moss as I do from TRF
with this stratagy and I don't get frustrated waiting for long backorders.

I know that Charles has a level of Chrisma and his company comes off as the
David fighting to keep our cars on the road, While Moss comes off as a
corporate non-entity who is into a lot of cars including Miatas.  But don't
forget that Moss does have a LOT of parts reproduced that you can not get
ANYWHERE else!  Need a new seat frame for that TR3?

Let Charles persue his dreams and his businesses his own way and be
thankful for the quality of parts TRF does carry.  Also be thankful that
Moss is there having yet more parts reproduced and that they generally have
parts in stock & a much shorter backorder period for most things.

Life is good if you have a TR3 and need parts

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com   <- NOTE NEW ADDRESS

Celebrating my tenth year on Usenet/Internet