Re: TR-6 Tachometer Error - Update

To: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Subject: Re: TR-6 Tachometer Error - Update
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 8 May 96 16:01:27 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>For those of you don't recall my original post on this:  My new Sunpro
>digital tach. told me that my in-dash tach was reading VERY low.  This
>made me believe that I had been severely over reving the engine.
>
>I didn't really believe the Sunpro readings so I investigated further:
>I checked the Sunpro with a function generator and o'scope and it is
>spot on.
>I checked car speed (timed mile markers) against the Smith's, it's
>approximately correct.
>Checked the Sunpro against the Smith's, same error as before.
>
>The Sunpro seems to give a very unstable reading so I'm guessing the
>problem to be point bounce, which should be resolved when I install the
>Crane 3000 later this spring.
>
>Sorry for the shocking tale of a high reving 2.5L engine.
>
>Tom Gentry

Tom,
 I found several years ago, that the SnPro is not up to the same quality
overall of the old SUN guages.
 I have also experienced arecent disappointment with VDO guages,
especially the tach, but it was the only 7000 RPM tackh I could find, and
in my opinion, a waste of money at $115+.
 I guess when you open an expensive guage and see "Made in Taiwan" on
components, you know that you are buying the name and not necessarily
quality. Best Regards, Tony
###