plated main bolts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: plated main bolts
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 21:01:00 -0640
Hi Bob!

>Bob Sykes s1500@aol.com writes:

>I replaced the thrust washers with new.  The old ones
>were not worn out in the way I have seen them before.
>(worn down to the copper colour substrate)
>These had some little 'crater' like areas where the top
>layer of material had flaked away.  Has anyone seen this,
>or know if it's normal /unusual /cause for concern?
>Crankshaft endfloat was within spec. w/ the old thrust washers.

My were exactly the same way.  The clutch side was very heavily
cratered but it's thickness measured as new.  Really confused
me since my endfloat was towards the high end of the spec.

I ended up putting +.005" thrust washers in for an added margin
of safety.

>The (new) main bearing cap bolts I have been supplied with
>are normal 'hardware store type' (zinc?) plated bolts.  They
>are the proper strength rating, but I'm apprehensive about
>using them (because of the plating) inside a motor.

Dontcha' HATE this?!  You go to all the trouble of ordering
the right stuff so you can do a proper job on a very
*critical* area... <$$$>

I dunno...perhaps others can jump in here and tell you that
they've used zinc plated main bolts with no problems.  Otherwise
you might want to call the vendor and ask him about it.

I can't think of anything wrong with zinc plating, per se, but
I've never seen it used here before.  It has me wondering about
the the past threads on conterfeit fasteners.

Best regards...Tom O'Malley
'74 Spit...no steenking plating!