Re: Pan gasket

To: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
Subject: Re: Pan gasket
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 23:40:45 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>>of being in too much of a hurry so we don't allow them to cure properly
>        How long do I leave it before I can drive ?

          Overnight. Silicone reaches full cure and strength in 24 hrs.

>> Two gasket of the "rubberized" material variety may help by providing
>        I can only get the regular type of gaskets, how/where do I get
>rubberized ones ? IMPORTANT !!!!!!

      Rubberized gasket material comes in sheets, usually 12x24 in. I buy
at Pep Boys for about $2.50 U>S>. It's usually rolled up an shrink wrapped.

>>> If you use a 1x4, place the even sawed, smoothe end under the lip
>>(outside bottom) of the pan and with a hammer, lightly tap the area of
>>each oil pan hole until it is visibly even with the rest of the sealing
>>surface of the pan.
>        Thankyou, makes sence now !
>
>> Spread a thin bead of sealant on the sealing surface of the pan, aand
>>apply the gasket, pressing down all the way around the pan and sort of
>>wiggling the gasket a bit to spread the sealant. Turn the pan over and
>>place it on a smooth even surface and press down in the center of the pan
>>lightly and let it SIT OVERNIGHT.
>        Ahh ha ! one simple step that helps a lot. It would make attaching
>the pan that much better, no slip and slide !!!!
>
>> When they are all snug, go back and torque them in the same criss-cross
>>fashion to I would guess 7-10 ft.lbs. No more or you'll bend the holes
>>out of shape again.
>        How can I torque them when my torque wrench is fairly long and is
>difficult to use. Or is that my problem ? If I just used "Brute" force, to
>what extent can I tighten. I know, strength is all relative !

     Usually a half inch or 3/8 extension, whatever drive your torque
wrench is, will help you reach the pan bolts.

>> Now, let it sit overnight again to let the sealant cure.
>        Another good point !
>
>Dam it Tony, that is the BEST lesson on gaskets etc I have ever had. Well
>written and makes alot of sence. BTW, where do you work (do?) and how did
>you ever come to be such a great PC Mechanic !
>
>Pat
>Pat Leask
>pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
>Victoria BC

 Pat, sorry to leach so much text, just wanted to be sure not to overlook
anything.
 If you really want the absolute best gasketthat can be had, take the pan
to an industrial gasket and seal company. You'll find them in the Yellow
pages. (sounds like a commercial doesn't it)
 They can cut one out of the best materials available like TPR or heat
resistant Neoprene, in any thickness or a variety of densities. Of
course, you'll pay dearly but they will gaurantee their gaskets won't
leak.

 I don't work. I am a "kept man"!!!!!

I started out building hot rods in the early 60s. After doing my "duty",
I went to work for Chrysler as a field Tech Rep. That lasted about 5
years, They wanted me to move, I said no. Ended up driving a truck about
1977, had an accident in 1983, took me 8 operations and three and a half
years to learn how to walk again.
  Since early 87, I have done nothing but build various cars, mostly for
other people.
 the 68 GT6 was my first LBC. It was on a trailer I wanted in San Diego
and I really didn't want it. The guy said to push it off the road
someplace on the way home but I keept it. It was a road racer and had
been wrecked in 1983. It sat in my back yard for almost two years and my
Daughter was about to get her drivers license so I thought I'd build it
for her. She said it was too small. My Wife drove it and fell in love.
So, I now have two others and one more to pick up, all GT6s'
 That's my bio. What else can I tell you.
 I work on cars as therapy and in defiance of Doctors. I had one neuro
surgeon tell me I'd be in a wheel chair by 1994. Ain't no way.
When I quit working on cars, I may as well lay down and die because that
will be the end of me.
 I just bought a 67 GT6 TODAY.
Enjoy yourself, life can be short.
Best Regards,