Re:Tr restoration-dash

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Tr restoration-dash
From: wsachse@ncinter.net (William Sachse)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:11:47 -0500
I refinished the dash in my '59 Tr3-A last fall and offer the following:
the original vinyl covering did not have a cloth backing as did the
material I used to replace it- it appeared to be some sort of heat or
vacuum formed process.  The material I used was a generic type from a
fabric store as I am still waiting for the correct stuff from TRF(yes they
do already have my $).  I got some advice from a reupholsterer to use a
hair drier when fitting the cloth backed vinyl and it worked just fine.  I
used a supply of dashboard clips to hold the material until the contact
cement dried and just worked a small section at a time.  The end result is
a very fine lookong dash covered in tan vinyl with a crinkle-coat painted
center section (Western-Auto) that looks great.  My best advise is use lots
of clamps and clips, good contact cement on the tricky curves and ends,
small sections at a time, and lots of heat from someones hair drier.  Hope
this helps.

                                        Bill Sachse
                                        '59 Tr3-A
                                        '67 Tr4-A