Cars owned thread-My stable

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Cars owned thread-My stable
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:11:53 -0500
This thread got me thinking...

'65 Ford Falcon Station Wagon- $50, then $200 for junkyard motor #1, $200 for
Junkyard #2, sold for $100; drove it 18 months.

'69 BMW 2002- $550, The motor knocked when I bought it, and when I sold it
for $500, but even under 3000 rpm's, that was a fast car; drove it 6 months.

'66 VW Bug w/ sunroof- $30 (no kidding!) Sold it twice, for $250 each time!
Drove it 6 months

'74 Plymouth Satellite- My first car that always started when you turn the
key.  Drove it 3 years

'78 Peugeot 604- $5000, Bought it w/ 41,000, sold it w/ 175,000 for $500.
Ran like a champ, I worked on it most every weekend.  Never left me anywhere.
The wife made me sell it because she thought I loved that car more than her.
Drove it 8 years.  I figured if I can keep a gas powered Peugeot running, I
could do anything...

'80 Olds Cutlass Diesel- $600, had aspirations of dropping in a big block V8,
never got around to it.  Sold it for $800, it ran pretty good, all things
considered.

'66 Pontiac Star Chief Executive- $1500, 56,000 original miles.  Luckily, the
wife likes the Chief, so it is still in the driveway.

'85 Dodge Ramcharger- $2800, Bought it w/99,000, as of today it has 175,000
on original drivetrain, no rebuilds.  It towed the TR250 home!

'68 TR250- $1200.  The Triumph has become the victim of my shipwrights
disease.  I doubt it will see the road this year  :-(

'88 Beretta- $4000, The wife has to drive something.

'73 Jeep J2000 Pick Up, with snowplow- $900 If I have to use this one one
more time this year, I am going to scream.

The thing is, I have never bought a new car, most probably never will.  I
don't care how prosperous we might be. I am too cheap (don't read this, Nick)
to loose the depreciation.  I feel confident with my abilities to get every
last bit of life out of a piece of equipment.

It must be in our blood.  I believe this is a common idiosyncrasy of members
of this list.

I am sure people have a better list than mine.

Any takers?

Henry Frye

Current Stable

'68 TR250