TR4 oil leak from bolts ?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 oil leak from bolts ?
From: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com (Pat Leask)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 17:18:54 -0800
Okay, I almost give up ! (A few swear words ...). I replaced the rear mail
oil seal, plus all the added goodies "While I'm at it...". I then cleared up
enough of the oil leak(s) to find the secondary leak, the timing chain cover
oil seal. Fixed that. Yup, I really fixed it good... dry as a bone !

BUT ! Now yet another leak has reared it's ugly head (or should I say drip).
Although not that bad, it p-ss's me off ! I cleaned everything up, drove it,
parked it with paper underneath to trace the dropplets.

It seems the oil is collecting between the top of the flared out lip of the
oil pan and the bottom of the block (the out side edge of the pan gasket),
and then finding the best path down. AND, it is odd that a certain number of
oil pan bolts have oil on the bottom of them and others don't (all at the
front of the oil pan). IS IT POSSIBLE, for oil to leak down around the
bolts, sneek between and through the oil pan gasket, down and around the
head onto the floor ? I put on a new pan gasket, coated (well) with some
good gasket cement when I put the pan back on after replacing the rear main
oil seal (I had to pull the rear main seal, which meant the pan had to come
off etc etc) Would new bolts help, or perhaps some plumbers teflon tape ?

Thanks for any input !
Pat Leask
pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
Victoria B.C.