Glycol based vs. Silicon /dot 3-4 vs. 5

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Glycol based vs. Silicon /dot 3-4 vs. 5
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 11:35:59 pst
     Pro and Con
          Dot 3/4                         Dot 5 Silicon

          Minimum 284 wet boiling point   wet boiling point not a real
          Centigrade                      issue

          Cheap                           Expensive

          destroys paint                  Paint friendly

          Race cars use this              race cars don't use this
          (change brake fluids often)     as far as I know.

          Can be ruinous to certain       rubber friendly
          rubber parts

          very hygroscopic                water less of a problem

          I use this in my race           I use this in my show cars.
          prepped Triumphs.

          TR4a solid axel#290EP            TR3a Motor Trend Aug. 1991
          TR4a IRS       #25 EP