Re: Spit springs (was spit axels - paint)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit springs (was spit axels - paint)
From: ADU3B@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 12:29:26 -0500
Greetings Wordly Scions,
On Mon, 11 Mar 96 17:18:32 EST
Kurt Oblinger writes:

<The dab or blotch of paint is most likely an inspection proof mark. The
inspectors on the line would QC the work and then use a paint marking pen
to put a "stamp of approval" so to speak. There was another comment as to
colored paint stripes on coil springs. This may be either an inspection mark
or
a way of indicating the load rating of the spring. I'm not sure if Triumph
used different rated springs for export as opposed to home market but its
possible. If so, I would think it would show in the parts manuals.>

Spitfires did have different (front) springs throughout production.
This was denoted by a dab of paint on the spring:

Green= Spitfire 4; (Mk1), spring length=12.59" free, 7.8" fitted
Light Blue=Spitfire 4; (Between FC 3,214 & FC 39527)
spring length= 12.21" free, 7.42" fitted

The Spitfire Mk2 had green dabbed springs (same spec as Mk1)

Purple= Spitfire Mk3; length=12.21" free, 7.5" fitted

The Spitfire Mk4 was same as Mk3

Purple/White=Spitfire 1500; spring length free=?, fitted=8.0 inches

This paint marking scheme is what caused me to ask the question
about the rear axle paint marking.  Most of the info I received
indicated the majority of axles had the "yellow dab" as most of
mine do.  The blue dabbed axle remains a mystery.

I suspect it indicates: "made on a wednesday after morning tea break
and checked by a substitute (non-union) inspector who was not
permitted to use the yellow paint brush" ;-)

Bob Sykes   -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires -  --    }-0-----0->