FW: Help With Spit Emissions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Help With Spit Emissions
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 96 10:03:53 PST
Hi,

>Does anyone have experience in passing emissions testing for mid 70's
>spitfires in California, or maybe just knowledgeable about idle mixture
>adjustment?

I have a '79/80 CA Spit which I have gotten smogged here.  Had no problems, and
haven't heard of people rebuilding engines to pass smog unless the engine was
hosed.
I have spent plenty of time playing with the mixture.

>I'm having trouble with high hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide at idle. I've
>got a '74 spit with a '79 1500 long block (9 to 1 compression), with the '74
>fuel, ignition and smog systems. The timing is set to 2 degrees after, and
>the valves are in pretty good shape as far as adjustment.

First, did the '74 have a retard on it?  I don't think so.  If it doesn't have
retard, the timing should be 10 BTDC, not 2 ATDC.  You can tell whether it's a
retard by looking at where the vacuum fitting goes into the advance/retard unit
on
the dist.  If the hose goes back toward the block, it's a retard.  If the hose
goes
out away from the block, it's an advance.

>As far as I can tell there is no separate idle mixture circuit on my
>Stromberg CD, just that "CO" adjustment screw, which I have screwed in all
>the way. So this leaves the main needle as the sole mixture adjustment.

Buy a ColorTune and tune the mixture that way.  The things are great.  Also,
you
don't mention the choke.  The automatic choke in mine is the bane of my
existence.
Verify that it's working correctly and correctly set (or else turn it all the
way
off when you tune, and I mean ALL the way off).

Regards,

AC