Petrol tank flushing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Petrol tank flushing
From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 11:20:25 -0500
Hi,

     If a new gas tank is available for your car, buy it.  If not, the
radiator shop can help a little with removing varnished gas although it may
not help with rust.  Check the tank for residual water and rust before
installing it.  If you have a few pounds of medium size nuts and bolts drop
them in the tank and shake it until you are weak, to remove scaley rust.

   If there are any rust holes or nearly rusted points your choice is to
replace the tank now when it's only money or later when it's only money and
flames when, in about 11 minutes, that pencil-point hole transfers the many
gallons of fire accelerator from your tank onto the floor of your garage, the
vapors to be ignited by the pilot from your hot water heater while you're
sneaking Internet time at work...  Sorry.

   We've installed several TR6 aluminum gas tanks and this reproduction seems
to be of good quality.  Used tanks for other cars should be sanded and
scraped in relentless pursuit of incipient rust.

     My '59 Rambler American needs a gas tank, and so does my '48 Crosley.
 Unlike most British cars which have excellent parts availability, older
American orphan car parts are less easy to source.

Have fun,
Jeff and your friends at Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22031
(800) 527-3140
Repairs, Restorations, Parts

Subj:   Re: Petrol tank flushing
Date:   96-02-26 22:32:10 EST
From:   JoeSimcoe@aol.com

Pat Edwards asks:

<<Whilst the tank is out I thought I
would flush it out and give it a lick of paint.    I want to get as much of
the crud from the bottom as possible, but my  main concern is to get rid of
the petrol vapour before I sand it down. What is the best way to flush it?>>

Not long ago someone posted the suggestion that you take it to a radiator
repair shop and they will (I believe it was) steam clean it, or otherwise
clean it, SAFELY (and inexpensively I might add as I remember the price
mentioned was $25)

JoeSimcoe