Late Spitfire frames (rust analysis)

To: Triumph List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late Spitfire frames (rust analysis)
From: Bob Sykes <103110.1323@compuserve.com>
Date: 27 Feb 96 18:50:59 EST
Greetings Wordly Scions,

This might be of interest to owners or potential owners of later
model US spec Spitfires:

I just finished completely stripping a '75 chassis (frame in
yankspeak) that I had originally intended to restore.  What
caused me to *not* restore this frame was rust, just forward
of the rear cross member.  This is a documented place to check
for rust (in the buying/restoration guide) but I believe that
the later US Spec cars *may* be more at risk for this location.
The reason for this is the unique 'frame extensions' on the later
"square bumper" cars.  The ends of the extensions are open to the
elements, whereas on earlier (& UK) cars the frame ends are
welded shut.  Granted the 'open ends' are tucked up underneath
the boot where it is unlikely that rain will get in.  The car I
was planning to restore had been fitted with a mkIV style rear
bumper, exposing these openings a little more.  Water had gotten
in, and once in there, it winds up at the low point between diff
mount and rear cross member.  The frame then rusted from the
inside.  This type of rust is non-repairable (according to the
manual) and serious because it starts from the 'inside' of the
frame.

I will  more closely scrutinize potential purchases in this area.
Particularily if the rear over-riders/bumper is missing.  It
might even be worth sealing up the ends of the frame.

Bob Sykes   -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires -  --    }-0-----0->