Starter Selenoid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter Selenoid
From: tblank@teleport.com (Ted Blank)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:37:40 -0800
SOL,

I posted a query a couple weeks ago about the whirring starter on my '80
Spit.  Thanks to all who responded.  Yesterday, I finally made the time to
try and pull the starter.  After major frustration with too little room for
the wrenches (sorry, spanners) I thought of just giving it a good rap and
trying to start.

Well, no more starter whir, because now the selenoid has gone bad (I think).
Is this the part, wired between the battery and the starter, mounted just
under the windscreen, in fromt of the fire wall, near the battery, that goes
"clickity click" when it fails??  Can it be repaired, or does one just pull
it (looks pretty easy) and replace.

I love the way the evasive manuevers these problems make. Just as one is
closing in on it, it moves!

Please help to catch it again.

Thanks in advance.
Ted Blank