Re: Electronic ignitions (was ignition coil questions)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electronic ignitions (was ignition coil questions)
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:42:08 -0700
I'm a big fan of the Crane HI-6 (available through Team Fat, among others): I
have one on my GT6+ and my TR4A and my Morris Minor (though the Minor's engine
isn't back in yet). They combine capacitive discharge for a fat spark, multiple
sparks at <3000 rpm for cleaner burn, and an easily settable rev limiter.

I'm currently triggering them all with points, but will soon start
investigating the new generation of "ignitor" electronic points replacements
that have come on the market.

When I installed the TR4A's, I did back to back acceleration/HP measurements. I
don't have the numbers handy but remember something like a 8-10% increase in
peak HP, just from the ignition change - that was before regapping the plugs!