Spitfire rear axle

To: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Spitfire rear axle
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 09:00:49 +0100
Cc: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se
The rear axle on my Spitfire Mk3 '70 has developed (I'm not sure if it was
there when I bought it) a 'rumbling' sound. It is repeating itself proportio-
nal to the speed of the car (probably once every time the axle turns) but
it only appears when the car is rolling by it's own inertia, e.g. when rolling
towards a stoplight. When the engine pulls, the sound is gone. The sound
appears to come from the left side. When rolling slowly I can actually feel
a slight movement in the car along with the sound. It might be the bearings,
but I tend to suspect the universal joint since the force on the bearings
is not dependent on whether the engine pulls the car or vice versa.

Does anybody have experience with something like this?

 - Thanks, Peter