Re: Aviation gas/reply to address

To: lherault@acs.bu.edu
Subject: Re: Aviation gas/reply to address
From: bc620@scn.org (Ernest G. Janzen)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 07:19:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>What is the net wisdom about using av. gas in a '73 TR-6.  Mine sure
>feels happy when I do, it runs more quietly, requires less choke time.
>It is 100 octane low lead BTW.

To the best of my knowledge there is no problem with using aviation gas
except for the cost.  Aviation gas has a lower vapor pressure than auto
gas (great for high altitudes) and, generally, a higher octane rating.
The general statement from the chemists and mechanical engineers is that
there is no reason to use a higher octane rating the your car needs. If
you car doesn't ping the octane is sufficient, paying for a higher octane
rating is probably wasted money.

If you do a lot of driving at high altitudes the lower vapor pressure may
be of some advantage; however, if you buy auto gas in mountain areas it
should be formulate for higher altitudes.

Finally, if you are happy with using aviation gas and don't mind the
higher cost or can get it for the same price as auto gas I know of no
reason you shouldn't use it.

>Does anyone know why the reply t0 address on the list directs replys to
>the dust bin?  It sends replys to triumphs-owner rather than
>triiumphs@autox...

I am curious to find out if this message makes it to the net and would
like to find out what I am doing wrong if it doesn't.

>Ron

Good luck.

Ernest Janzen
'74 TR6