Re: seized brake m/c

To: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: seized brake m/c
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 9:58:37 -0700 (MST)
Once, in my ignorant youth (and I only wish the ignorance would
disappear as fast as the youth :)) I swapped in a junkyard brake
master cylinder and drove with it without rebuilding.

The cylinder failed catastrophically in traffic about a month
later.   I was very lucky to avoid harm.  It is quite possible
that master cylinders "wear in" to a particular car and usage
pattern.  Reinstallation into a different car may lead to pre-
mature failure.  But this is speculation.

The fact is, you don't know the condition of that m/c, you only
know it's used. I always replace hydraulic components with new
ones, except for disc brake calipers which I have reconditioned.

I doubt very much you'll get much encouragement from this list
to go on with this boneyard m/c, it just isn't worth it.  There
are some things you mustn't try to save money on.

- Dan Parslow