Re: Gearbox oil top-up<9510021040.ZM23027@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>

To: Chris Boston <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Gearbox oil top-up<9510021040.ZM23027@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 1995 12:36:12 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Chris wrote:-

>I attempted to top up the gearbox oil on my 77 spit yesterday (car up on
>jacks), but gave up due to the almost impossible amount of access to the filler
>nut (why isn't it on the other side, where access is so much easier).

>The above solution sounds a bit drastic, any other suggestions from you
>veterans out there?

>All advice greatfully received.

>Chris.
>       1977 - Spitfire 1500 O/D.

In early '94 just after I started using the car, I was having a few problems
with the O/D, so to quicken the job of adjusting the damn thing, I simply never
bolted the gearbox cover down.  Only problem with this idea is the way your
feet get washed if your hit a big puddle, and the way you start to feel a bit
drowsy after driving for a few miles with a leaky exhaust manifold gasket :-)

PS. anyone out there going to the Essex areas event at Duxford Imperial War
museum this coming weekend, I went last year and won the Treasure Hunts first
prize of a flight in a Tiger Moth Bi-plane.

Rich
Northampton
England