Re: exhausting weekend

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>, "Keith B. Thompson - Sun" <thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: exhausting weekend
From: "Chris Boston" <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 10:59:07 +0000 "Re: exhausting weekend" (Sep 29, 12:25pm)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Morning folks,

I've been following this thread with some interest, since I have had a blown
gasket (manifold to down-pipe) for a while, and the noise has been geting
worse.

I finally plucked up the courage to replace it yesterday, and to my great
delight, the three nuts came away with the minimum of force.

The trick is to drown the whole thing in penetrating oil for several days
before you attempt to remove the nuts.  I have been soaking them with 3-in-1
oil for about six days.  Remember that you will get a whole lot of smoke if you
try to drive the car with the oil on - I know, I did it...Gave the chap in the
car besides me at the lights quite a scare when he saw my cockpit full of
smoke.

With the nuts off, (and the gearbox fixing bolt removed), ease the downpipe
away from the manifold with a bolster or other such device.

Clean both faces with a degreasing agent (WD40 in my case), fit the new gasket
onto the studs and raise up the down-pipe. (I also use wellseal to ensure no
leaks).

If, as in my case, the down-pipe doesn't seam to fit the studs anymore, raise
it slowly with a jack, this mates the two halves neatly and with minimum strain
to any of the parts.

Next,  throw away those rusted steel nuts and fit brass ones instead (washers
not required).

Finally refit the support bolt and hey presto, a sound exhaust.  Remember to
run the engine at highish revs. for a while to check for exhaust leaks, and
also to burn off any remaining penetrating oil (which WILL have coated your
down-pipe).

Thanks for listening, and good luck with those rusty studs.

Chris.
       1977 - Spitfire 1500 O/D.

--
--
-- "What is the use ", asked Alice, "Of a book with no pictures?"