Leaky TR 6 Oil Press Gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaky TR 6 Oil Press Gauge
From: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 23:11:36 -0400
Triumphant Gentlemen:
     My new toy has returned from the alignment (i.e. this is ALL that they
do: frame and suspension work) shop and drives like a dream.  Hugs the road
like velcro, goes straight as an arrow and rides smoother than my
Suburban--had to brag on it!  Of course we spent a small fortune and were
without it for almost 3 weeks but.... feeling it drive like it should was
worth it.  Don't know how the PO managed to enjoy going down the street with
it....
     Having spent the national debt (also bought it a new set of redlines (I
know, I know, but I can't imagine a 6 with anything but redlines so decided
to splurge) we're going to tackle some of the simpler things that we can
handle ourselves.
     The oil pressure gauge has what appears to be oil in the bottom of the
glass between the glass and the gauge front.  (About 1/2 inch high and not
increasing.) I've managed to peer back there under the dash from the drivers
floor and feel around with my fingers and don't see any oil behind the gauge.
So am assuming that it didn't come from the oil tube connecting in the rear
of the gauge but is from a faulty seal within the gauge itself??  Will be
taking off the dash front next weekend to put in a few bulbs and fix a few
other things back there and wanted some advice before I got to it about this
gauge.... is this fixable or are we automatically talking new one here...
should I go ahead and order one or does anyone have any hope of it being
something simple.  As might be expected the readings are generally very low
although occasionally they jump up to normal, then return almost immediately-
so I am assuming that it is unreliable and would like to have a dependable
one.
Thanks for the advice--- Grace