Spit - GT6 gearbox.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit - GT6 gearbox.
From: mareks@netcom.com (marek sawczuk)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
It is maybe true tha the GT6 gearbox is stronger then the Spitfire (for
example the lay shaft has roller bearings not just 'brass' bushings, but
I don't think it will just bolt in place.

Number 1.  The starter on the GT6 engine is mounted on the right side (as
it is in the TR6).  I have a aftermarket manifold on my '69 Spit. 4-2-1
and I don't think there is enough room to fit a starter next to it.

Number 2.  If you use a Spitfire bellhousing and a GT6 tranny it might
work - read: work required to modify the bellhousing??  Will have to
modify input shaft and/or pilot bushing.  Remember, its easier to modify
a aluminum bellhousing from and early Spitfire/Hearald and also much lighter.

Number 3.  I think the gear ratio's are different but should work.

Number 4.  If you have a stock Spit motor the stock Spit tranny will work
well.  The GT6 trannies are getting harder to come by.  The GT6 with more
HP had a bad habit of making their life short.

As to the TR 6 tranny, I know of a GT6 using one no problem other than if
try to put it in thge Spit check Number 1 above.  If you want to use it
in a GT6 you will have to use the rear engine plate for the TR6 and make
a new pilot bushing.

I hope this help.