tr-6 distributor housing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tr-6 distributor housing
From: ssutton@ban.CHINALAKE.NAVY.MIL
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 8:15:20 PDT
Well, I am almost finished with the engine rebuild on my '74 TR-6 and was
fitting up the distributor last night when I ran across the procedure to
determine the correct amount of end-float for the distributor (the
clearance between the distributor flange(?) and the distributor/oil pump
drive gear).  The clearance specified is .005" and you fit-up gaskets
between the engine block and the distributor flange to set the correct
clearance between the botton of the flange and the top of the drive gear.

The problem I have run into is that without any gaskets fitted I have a
clearance of .008"; with one gasket fitted, the clearance increases to
.016". My question is:  Can I run with this much clearance?  Do I need at
least one gasket fitted (to prevent oil leaks) or I could put a light
coating of gasket sealant on the flange to prevent a oil leak without
increasing the clearance very much?  Or is this a sign of a bigger
problem?  The distributor flange has no obvious signs of damage.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Sutton
Ridgecrest, CA