Spit. question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit. question
From: gpierce@acpub.duke.edu (Grainger Pierce)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:23:37 -0400
        I just got a '78 Spitfire this past summer as a project car.  I am
relatively new to cars and mechanics, but so far it has been fun learning.
        Anyway, I am planning to go home this weekend for a little
tinkering, and had a question (probably simple) that one of you can
hopefully help me with. The car runs really well, but it seems that when I
get up to around 55-60 the steering wheel starts to shake.  I know that the
hub bearings are worn down (that is one of the things I'm fixing this
weekend) but is that the problem?  Is it something in the steering linkage?
What do I need to look for?  I appreciate your advice in this matter, as
well as any suggestions as to the best methods of repair.
        Also, one final question... I recently put a new electronic ignition
in, to replace an aftermarket one that had broken.  It is a Lucas
distributor with the electronic ignition mounted on the side (I don't
remember the type).  To mount the ignition, the installer had removed the
vacuum advance plate and replaced with a crudely fabricated device that is
completely incompatible with my pickup unit.  I ended up mounting it on the
side, and am not able to use my vacuum advance.  My books don't say much
about vacuum advance.  I understand what it does (sort of), but will I get
much better performance/mileage with it hooked up?  Should I go ahead and
relace the distibutor?  I don't know if it is relevant, but I use a Weber
DGV carb.
        Thanks in advance for the advice.  It is good to be back at school,
where I can get in touch with people who know a more about mechanics than I
do.
---- Grainger Pierce
proud owner of a REAL sports car
'78 Spitfire