Cam Profiles - Spit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cam Profiles - Spit
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 11:45:31 EDT
 To:    Triumph Mail List,      Triumph Subscribers     Inet

i need some advice on some specs for regrinding the cam in my
Spit. Mk I motor (actually, Herald motor - prev. owner swapped
motors, but i understand that it is virtually identical to Mk. I
motor except for compression ratio and cam profiles, and a couple
of other minor areas).

i have not been able to locate a copy of the Triumph competition
tuning handbook to which many of you have referred and i presume
it would contain lots of info. on recommended profiles for
regrinding the existing cam to get a little more power and torque
without making the thing idle like a lumpy NASCAR motor.  does
anyone have a suggestion for duration/lift/overlap profiles that i
might use?  The Herald motor is the high compression version, but
it is still pretty weak.

Also, has anyone out there experimented with nitrous injection in
a Spit. motor?  I've done it to a small block Chevy before, and
assume it is not that much different with a small 4 banger, except
the bottle would probably need refilling only once per year.  Will
the stock clutch & diff. handle an "ocassional" boost of about 50
hp?  Or will i be looking at frequent clutch rebuilds and lots of
broken ring and pinion gears?

Ross D. Vincenti
65 Spit Mk I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster, and a cat named Flounder.