Re: TR-3/4 pinion sea

To: VDPY33A@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: TR-3/4 pinion sea
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 95 13:51:56 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>A friend of mine has a leaking pinion seal on his TR-3.  Can I remove
>the pinion flange, change the seal, and reassemble.  Or does this
>differential have one of those pesky crush washers as part of the
>pinion assembly like the TR-6?  I do not see one in the parts
>illustration book and we do not have a manual.  Even if it does, can
>we re torque the nut safely without further compressing the washer?
>
 >Pat in NC

Pat,
 Afetr having just gone through a 64 TR4, I was able to just replace the
seal and flange.
 If the seal leaks, it's a good idea to give the flange a thorough
once over to find out why the seal failed.
 Several reason why a seal will fail. 1/ age. 2/worn pilot shaft
bearings, allowing shaft and flange to viberate. 3/Worn U=joints and/or
out of balance propeller shaft will alsoo cause the seal failure, but the
vibration should have been noticible long befor a seal failure.
Good luck,
Tony R.
69GT6
68GT6