Recommend Spitfire top???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Recommend Spitfire top???
From: "George Fisher" <HW1.GFISHER@HW1.CAHWNET.GOV>
Date: 13 Sep 1995 15:11:15 PST
Comment: HW1 GFISHER 09/13/95 15:11:23 HW1SSW1

Rainy season is fast approaching, and I need to purchase and install a new
soft top for my son's '72 Spitfire Mk IV.

Vic Brit seems to have 4 varieties:

Crown      $199.95    Top fasteners already installed!
Robbins    $224.95    Vinyl--fasteners provided/not installed
Robbins    $499.95    Acrylic cloth--fasteners provided/not installed
Tickford   $269.95    Original equipment (?)--fasteners provided/not installed

I think VB is having a sale on the Robbins vinyl top for $179.95 and the
Crown for $149.95 through the end of the month.

Questions:

1.  Which of these tops offer the best value? Are "better" tops available
from other suppliers, or are better prices on _these_ tops available
elsewhere?

2.  Is the replacement of the top something that two reasonably mechanical
guys can do without professional help, or is the cost of professional
installation money well spent?

3.  What special tools are required or nice to have?

4.  Should I order a new header top seal at the same time? I guess I would
drill out the existing rivets to remove the bright metal seal retainer. What
kind of riveting tool would I need to install the new rivets?

5.  Does the rear retainer bar also need to be replaced, or can I use the
old one?

I appreciate your advice!

7.  And finally