RE: Uni-Syn for beginners?

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: RE: Uni-Syn for beginners?
From: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 09:28:00 PDT
Encoding: 55 TEXT
Chris, I'll give it a shot.

The Uni-Syn is a tool with glass (plastic) tube and a float joined by a
small air passage to an aperture that is placed over each carb. in turn.
 This allows you to ensure that each carb is flowing the same amount of
air/fuel mixture.  To use it, first disconnect or loosen the part of the
throttle linkage that joins the throttle shafts.  Place the Uni-Syn over the
first carb. and adjust the Uni-Syn so that the float is half way up the
tube.  Now place the Uni-Syn over the second carb. and adjust the idle speed
screw until the float is in the middle.  Repeat until you get an equal
reading on both carbs.  Adjust idle speed, if necessary, by turning each
idle screw equal amounts.  Recheck balance with Uni-Syn.  When you are
satisfied, reattach/tighten throttle linkage.

Colour-Tune is a clear spark plug which allows you to see the color
(colour?) of the combustion flame.  The color tells you if the carb is
running rich or lean, and you can check it at various engine RPM.  I find it
particularly useful, since it is otherwise very hard, maybe impossible, to
tell what each individual carb is doing (i.e.. one may be OK the other quite
rich).  It also generates a lot of interest from the neighborhood kids and
even grownup gearheads, as in "gee, Mr. Wizard!"

I know this is a little long winded, but I hope it gives you a clear idea of
what we are discussing.

Tom Gentry
72 TR-6 OD
Rockford, IL