TR4a engine Failure

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4a engine Failure
From: davelacey@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Lacey)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 11:48 BST-1
Hi,

Last night my TR4a started to develop an engine problem. Firstly I noted
a large amount of blue smoke when I pulled off a motorway on to a minor
road.
Then later in the evening it was reluctant to start with obvious low
compression on one cylinder when cranking it. Then as I was driving it
ran very low on oil. This morning I topped the oil up, but noted that the
oil is being ejected from all orifices in and around the rocker cover.
When running the engine with the oil cap removed, the crankcase pressure
is obviously very high. Now I think the blue smoke is not coming out of
the exhaust but is just oil dripping on to the hot exhaust. (this morning
when sitting in traffic smoke was rising into the car from aroung the
gearstick gaiter!).  The engine was rebuilt 55,000 miles ago...I guess
its either head gasket or piston/bore failure. Anybody any
suggestions/hints/advice/
support?

Dave Lacey.