Re: GD series Herald engines [was Re: Spit Parts]

To: Pete Watson <pwatson@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: GD series Herald engines [was Re: Spit Parts]
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 08:58:40 BST
Cc: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi All,

I would like to confirm all that Andy has said.  The GD engine was introduced
in 1963 specifically for the 12/50
model which gave it an edge over the normal (GA) 1200.  It was the Spitfire
engine but with a slightly lower
compression head and a single carb.  The camshaft was the Spitfire one.  It
also had a better flowing exhaust
manifold than the 1200.  GD was also the commission number prefix for the 12/50
as someone, perhaps Andy, has
already said.  I don't know the position regarding exports to the U.S. so I
can't argue on that one.

The GD certainly ran until 1967 when the 13/60 was introduced (GE engine) and
I'm sure it is correct that the 1200
model received the GD engine eventually although probably with the normal,
shorter 1200 manifold.  If it did,
then it would have continued until 1970 in the 1200 saloon.

To underline this, I have a '67 12/50 with its original GD engine (when I say
'with', I mean it's quite close!! Not
actually in the car, you understand.).

So I'm sorry Pete, but your book is quite wrong.  '68 should read '63 as Andy
and others have said.

Phil Willson
TSSC 13/60 Register Secretary

(12/50, 13/60, 2500S)