Re: TR6 O/D questions

To: TinyHost@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 O/D questions
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:05:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 31 Aug 1995 TinyHost@aol.com wrote:

> My '72 TR6 originally had an O/D unit. I can tell because the badge and
> steering column control are there, even if the O/D unit itself isn't.
> I'm looking for a unit for it, but have some questions.
>
> The tranny that's in there now is of unknown lineage. I suspect that
> someone, somewhere removed the original tranny and O/D unit and
> replaced it with what's in there now. According to what I've been able
> to find out, this year TR6 should have had an 'A' type O/D. Is there
> any reason I can't put a 'J' type unit in my car? Do the O/D units mate
> only to specific cars or trannies? Should I look for just an O/D unit
> or a complete transmission / O/D unit?
>
> Thanks to all, and a happy Labor Day to those on this side of the pond!
>
>         Bruce Krobusek
>         Rochester   NY
>        tinyhost@aol.com
>           '83 R80RT
>            '72 TR6

Bruce:
You can further confirm the presence of the OD on your car by checking the
commission number; OD equipped cars had the suffix "O". The heritage of
your present gearbox is found in its serial number. Pre-1972 boxes were
CD, while 1972 and later were CC.

As far as fitting the OD, if you wish to retain your present gearbox you
will have to change the mainshaft to correspond to the OD you will fit.
A's and J's had different mainshafts. Obviously the easy way out is to get
a whole gearbox and OD package. Hope this helps you.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR-6 CC61193 (reassembly in progress)