Re: TR7 Performance Options<9508312231.AA19545@centhub.mnet.uswest.com>

To: dsjunor@seabgs2.mnet.uswest.com
Subject: Re: TR7 Performance Options<9508312231.AA19545@centhub.mnet.uswest.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 09:15:35 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Hello all:

>New subscriber. First attempt. Forgive me in advance for my faux pas'.

OK so far, I've amde plenty of Faux Pas'(just DON'T mention women).

>So anyway. I have a 1980 TR7 convertible, gold in color. Built August
>1979, with a 79 VIN, but sold and registered as an 80. Haven't a clue
>what the VIN actually is.

VIN, French wine ain't it???? :-)

>Bought the car new July 15, 1980. Now has 75,000 miles, and other than
>a little fading in the Jaguar-spec paint it looks new. I painted the
>original equipment wheels black, since the gold car looked odd with
>silver wheels. Have replaced the original black top with a tan one,
>courtesy of some local radio thief. Otherwise she's original. Oh, he
>DID get the radio, although WHY I'll never understand.

There are some sad people about aren't there :-)

>I'm interested in more power for the car, having foolishly made the
>decision at the time of purchase to go with the four cylinder instead
>of the identical looking V8 next to it. Something about the $4000 price
>difference.....? What works well, with minimum negative effects?

You could always convert it to V8 Spec now, there are places that sell kits to
do this(about 2000-2500 pounds I think).

>I would like to find out if anyone has knowledge of a replacement head
>that I have heard rumoured. It is a 16 valve head, supposedly available
>on the "Sprint Dolomite" in the UK, and transferable to the TR7. From
>the little bit of info I have heard it boosts the anemic TR7 engine to
>about 135 bhp with no other changes.

Yes, the Dolomite Sprint head will fit, but I'm not sure what else has to be
changed(timing gear, water pump, etc).  It would be a lot easier to drop in the
complete Sprint Engine(Easier for me to say than for you to do I know).
Triumph actually made a few(Don't know how many) TR7 Sprints.  I think the
actually BHP is 127.  Performance figures for the Sprint were 0-60 in 8.6 secs
and 118 mph.(I think)

>Has anybody ever heard of such a critter? If so, is it a reasonable
>performance change for my car? Cost? Availablity? Can you retain the
>stock carburetion, or would I JUST HAVE TO go to Webers? Or is all
>this some pipe dream created by an especially cruel Scottish mechanic
>who shall remain nameless - (until I catch you, Robin!)

The Sprint has Twin Su's, Don't know what sort HS4 perhaps.  Someone enlighten
us.  Webers Sound a good idea.
Come to think of it, I think Rimmer Brothers have an actual original TR7 Sprint
so they might be able to help better.

Rich.