Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo engine
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:05:56 +0200
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <9508221815.AA11201@tin>,
lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
wrote:
> OK, I give up. What's a Toledo engine? Ohio or Spain?
>
> Anyway, I'm lost. Any info appreciated!

Aaaaaah, so you don't know what a Toledo is! Watch this:

Once upon a time (in 1965) Triumph decided that to complete their
range, they too had to jump on the front-wheel-drive bandwagon. So they
made the 1300, which looks rather like a miniature replica of the
2000 Mk.I (cute, really). It had a Herald engine mounted north-south,
on top of the gearbox. Later, a 1300TC with a 75 bhp Spitfire spec.
engine became available, and then (logically enough) a 1500 in 1970,
this time with a slightly extended nose.

The same year, enter the Toledo. Externally, it is the identical
twin to the 1500, but lo-and-behold, with rear wheel drive this time.
The Toledo was a 1300, although some 1500s were made for export.
The range was then further extended by the 1500TC (note: not Toledo),
this also as rear-wheel drive (as opposed to the 1500).

Since Triumph had been building a brand new OHC engine for Saab, they
started using this new engine on one of their own models, the
Dolomite 1850. Shortly after that, they released the fab Dolomite Sprint,
with a 16-valve 127bhp 2 litre variant of the same OHC engine. Since this
was such a clever car, the next logical step was then to rename the entire
RWD range Dolomites in 1976, the FWDs having been disposed of completely
in 1973. And why not change the name of the 1850 to Dolomite 1850HL?
The last extension to the range was the Dolomite 1500HL, a 1500TC with the
same quad headlamps and instruments as the Sprint. The last car rolled of
the production line in 1980.

Still confused? Surely not after this weeks episode of "Triumph model
range"!

Egil

There should be a picture at:
       http://www.oslonett.no/home/egilk/t1300.html

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway